You should speak with a health care provider or nurse if:
- You think you may be expecting
- Your period that is next is than a week later
- Your duration is smaller or lighter than typical
- You’ve got any unexpected or unusual discomfort in your reduced stomach (this might be an indication of a ectopic maternity, the place where a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive tablet may connect to other medications. These generally include:
- The medicine that is herbal John’s Wort
- Some medications utilized to deal with epilepsy
- Some medications utilized to deal with HIV
- Some medications utilized to deal with tuberculosis (TB)
- Medicine such as for example omeprazole (an antacid) which will make your belly less acidic
EllaOne can’t be utilized if you should be currently using one of these simple medications, as it might never be effective.
Levonelle may nevertheless be utilized, nevertheless the dosage may prefer to be increased – your physician or pharmacist can advise about this.
There ought to be no connection amongst the emergency pill & most antibiotics. Two antibiotics that are enzyme-inducingcalled rifampicin and rifabutin), utilized to deal with or avoid meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as for 28 times a short while later.
Should you want to be sure your medications are safe to simply just take with all the crisis contraceptive tablet, pose a question to your GP or a pharmacist. It’s also wise to see the client information leaflet that is included with your medications.
Can the emergency is got by me contraceptive supplement ahead of time?
Perhaps you are capable of getting the crisis contraceptive supplement prior to having unsafe sex if:
- You may be focused on your method that is contraceptive failing
- You might be taking place getaway
- You can not get your hands on crisis contraception effortlessly
Pose a question to your GP or nursing assistant for more info on getting advance crisis contraception.
The IUD as crisis contraception
The device that is intrauterineIUD) is a tiny, T-shaped contraceptive device produced from synthetic and copper. It’s inserted to the uterus by an experienced wellness professional. It may avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or becoming fertilised.
You could have ovulated, to prevent pregnancy if you’ve had unprotected sex, the IUD can be inserted up to five days afterwards, or up to five days after the earliest time. It’s more efficient at preventing maternity compared to the crisis capsule, also it will not connect to just about any medicine.
You could elect to have the IUD left in as an ongoing way of contraception.
Just exactly exactly How effective may be the IUD at preventing pregnancy?
There are many kinds of IUD. Newer ones have significantly more copper and they are significantly more than 99% effective. Less than two ladies in 100 whom utilize a more recent IUD over 5 years are certain to get expecting. IUDs with less copper inside them are less efficient than this, but are nevertheless effective. The IUD works better compared to the crisis supplement at preventing maternity after non-safe sex.
Who are able to utilize the IUD?
Nearly all women may use an IUD, including women that have not been pregnant and people that are HIV good. Your GP or clinician will enquire about your history that is medical to if an IUD would work for you personally.
You ought not to make use of an IUD when you have:
- An untreated STI or an infection that is pelvic
- Particular abnormalities regarding the womb or cervix
- Any bleeding that is unexplained your vagina – for example, between durations or after sex
Ladies who have heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD installed.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD shouldn’t be placed when there is a danger which you may already be expecting. The IUD can safely be used if you’re breastfeeding, nevertheless the threat of problems during insertion is slightly greater.
Exactly what are the unwanted effects associated with the IUD
Problems after having an IUD fitted are uncommon, but could consist of pain, disease, problems for the womb or expulsion (the IUD coming from the womb). It may make your periods longer, heavier or more painful if you use the IUD as an ongoing method of regular contraception.
The IUD as well as other medicines
The emergency IUD shall perhaps not respond with virtually any medicine.
Where am I able to get crisis contraception?
You will get the crisis contraceptive capsule together with IUD for clear of:
- A GP surgery providing you with contraception (some GP surgeries may well not supply the IUD)
- A contraception center
- A intimate wellness center
- Some genitourinary medication (GUM) clinics
- Some young adults’s clinics (phone our helpline that is sexual on 22 44 88)
You could have the emergency contraceptive supplement free of:
- Many pharmacies
- Some small accidents devices
- Some Accident & Emergency divisions
A doctor or nursing assistant the truth is may ask for the after information:
- If you have had non-safe sex in your present cycle that is menstrual
- The date associated with day that is first of final duration therefore the typical period of your period
- Information on any failure that is contraceptivesuch as for example just how many pills you may possibly have missed, when)
- If you have used any medicines that will impact your contraception
If you are aged 13 or higher, you will get contraception through the most of community pharmacies in Scotland, frequently totally free. If you’re maybe not qualified to receive NHS Scotland services, you can get the crisis contraceptive pill from many pharmacies. The price differs, however it will be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you are staying away from a regular approach to contraception, you could give consideration to doing this in purchase to reduce the possibility of unintended pregnancy. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) supplies the most efficient security against maternity, and also you need not think you have sex about it every day or each time.
LARC methods are the:
Where can it is got by me?
This will depend what sort of emergency contraception you employ. There are two main practices:
- The crisis contraceptive supplement (early morning after pill) – there are two main kinds, Levonelle or ellaOne
- The intrauterine device (IUD, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity if:
- You have not utilized contraception
- Your method that is usual of has unsuccessful
Crisis contraception shouldn’t be utilized in the place of your method that is usual of.
The earlier you employ crisis contraception after having non-safe sex, the greater amount of effective it’s. For lots more information, see How effective is crisis contraception?
The crisis contraceptive product
Levonelle can be obtained cost-free with out a prescription. You may get it from many pharmacies as well as from your own GP or health clinic https://koreanwives.net/ that is sexual. Utilize our nationwide provider Directory to locate nearest pharmacy, GP surgery or intimate wellness center.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available cost-free. You will get them from most community pharmacies as well as from your own GP or intimate wellness center.
Levonelle may be taken within 72 hours (three times) of getting non-safe sex, but it is most reliable if taken within 12 hours of experiencing non-safe sex.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or delaying ovulation (as soon as your ovaries launch an egg).
EllaOne may be taken within 120 hours (five times) of experiencing unsafe sex, but it is most effective if taken as quickly as possible after having sex that is unprotected.
You take one ellaOne tablet. It prevents or delays ovulation and causes it to be more challenging for a egg that is fertilised implant into the womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) is present from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Many intimate wellness clinics (GUM clinics)
- Many GP surgeries
The IUD is put within your womb. It damages both the semen and also the egg, and stops a fertilised egg implanting in your womb.
It should be fitted by a medical practioner within five times of having sex that is unprotected or, whether it’s feasible to calculate once you ovulate, as much as five times when you ovulate. The IUD is considered the most type that is effective of contraception.
You can easily keep consitently the IUD in as your regular way of contraception, or a medical practioner can take it off through your next duration.
Crisis contraception might never be ideal for everyone else. Learn more about crisis contraception.
If you are unwell
If you should be unwell (vomit) within three hours of using Levonelle or ellaOne, confer with your GP. You may have to take another capsule.
Just exactly How effective can it be?
It depends which kind of crisis contraception you employ and exactly how quickly it is used by you.
There are two main types of crisis contraception:
- The crisis contraceptive pill – or morning-after product – referred to as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity when you haven’t utilized contraception or think your method that is usual of has unsuccessful.